Bell Floor Covering

Bell Floor Covering

Mounting Type: Flag mount
Size: 76.5 in H, 4 ft W, 11.5 in D
Donated By: The Muder family

Founded in 1954 by John Muder, Bell Floor Covering operated successfully for 66 years, first at 4364 Victory Drive, and then across the street at 4411, in Kansas City, Kansas. It closed its doors in 2020, in part, because of COVID-19. The store offered carpet, vinyl, linoleum and commercial tile, and eventually hardwoods, laminates and ceramic tile. 

Born in 1927, John Muder was a veteran of both World War II and The Korean War. After Korea, John learned the flooring trade while his brother played football and acquired an interior design degree at Kansas State University. Together, they began selling and installing flooring throughout eastern Kansas and western Missouri. Eventually, a fleet of 40 union installers drove white Bell vans to installation sites as far away as the Lake of the Ozarks. 

The Bell neon sign, outlined in red neon, was installed in 1961. Years later, the neon quit working, the neon tubes were removed, and the sign was repainted, but unlit.  

LUMI welcomes this classic, mid-century beauty into our collection with our resounding thanks to the Muder family.