In 1912, Joe & Sadie Kuluva opened Kuluva’s Department Store in the Armourdale district of Kansas City, KS. They sold clothing and shoes to the hard working people in the meat packing houses and the stockyards of Kansas City. Their goal was to enable working families to buy and wear durable yet stylish clothing with a payment plan that fit their budget. Their loyal customers made weekly or monthly payments and enjoyed wearing fine quality clothes to work, school and church.
After the Great Flood of 1951, the Kuluva family moved their store to higher ground at 833 Minnesota Avenue, KCK where it reopened as Kuluva’s Furniture and Appliances. The store flourished by expanding and offering customers furniture for their homes, then electrical appliances, and then radio and television sets.
For 3 generations and over 100 years, the Kuluva family has been providing friends and neighbors in Greater Kansas City with fine furniture, appliances and home electronics.
The store is now known as Rental City.
Greg Garnett at Gamma Neon has finished his neon tube bending for this historic sign from the 1930s. The color glass is a cobalt blue. He bent 71 feet of cobalt blue neon for this beauty!
Jason Walker, a LUMI Advisor is doing the restoration.
The sign was rescued by Premier Outdoor back in January of 2020 during Covid.
The sign was donated by Chuck Kuluva on behalf of the Kaluva family.